Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Real Life Rounder

Sorry for such a long delay, Im going to speed up through the next couple years to get us to present day since rehashing my history is kind of boring from here on out, hope u enjoy.
........

Last time I left off with my big win of $10,700, before I make myself sound too lucky, I want to state that this was (until very recently) my largest cash in any event, nonethless a hell of a way to start.......

.......

College life continued, with one new activity, poker. I worked at Tutoringzone and played when i wasnt working. I had classes, but i rarely went, mainly because I am a good test taker and could just cram and get a B which i was happy with. Anyways, I became pretty obsessed with the online game. I talked about it quite often and anyone close to me knew when i was running well, or running bad. I was playing anything from a $30 SnG, to $100 MTT, to 30/60, to 2/4 NL. I just wanted to try it all, although I hadnt learned any games outside of holdem. Well, my boss, Matt, noticed my interests. Matt, while being my boss, was like an old recovering Drome. Matt was a great boss, mainly because I could relate with him. The best quote i always associate him with is when he said "Ty, the worst thing i can say about you, is you remind me exactly of myself" Come to find out later.....he wasnt kidding.

Im in the office one day and matt comes up to me:

Matt: Hey, listen to this, I was talking some poker in my review and this guy invited me to his game.

Drome: His game?

M: Ya, apparently he has a table, deals, has food, and runs a game 3 times a week..........Wanna go on Friday?

(Now, my boss inviting me to go gambling, seems like an obvious choice)

D: Sure

--------

This was my introduction to underground gambling. I still remember walking in this guys place and being shocked that there was a REAL poker table there, and real chips, and real felt, and real rake, and real food, and real beer.........u get my point. It was just a simple 1/2 game, but it played like a 2/4. I remember being a little intimidated by how much all these guys talked poker. I felt like I was out of my league, and i might have been back then, but i did turn my $100 into $450 on my first nite there, so that calmed my nerves a little bit. From here I was plugged in. I got to know everyone who played poker in Gainesville and was a regular rounder from every game from the squeeky wheel to the Lion's Den (yes, the games had names).

After awhile i knew who was good, and who wasnt. It was pretty much easy money on a regular basis. I coasted through school like this and got an internship at a Big 4 Accounting firm. Now during this time poker was blowing up (Spring of 2003), and everyone at the office was playing poker and talking about it. I always tried to play it down and was successful through my internship. My internship played a key roll in poker for me because it gave me a roll that i could take shots with (i had about 4k before the internship, and about 11k after it, money set aside JUST for poker, school was paid for and TZ paid my bills).

So I did what any beginning player would do, i moved up. I was playing 2/4 NL on party on a daily basis and $100/$200 SNGs (2/4 was as big as Party had back then). I also played a lot of limit back then because a 30/60 game is much juicier than a 2/4 NL game. Life went on as normal, i had a GF after my internship and had plenty of cash coming in between my job and poker. One important lesson I learned during this time, is GIRLS HATE POKER. The rest of the year went by, i graduated with my Masters in Accounting and I had continued to destroy all online and live games (I didnt realize it back then, but i ran very hot in the beginning, i wasnt used to sets not getting paid out and to be quite honest, the play back then online was extremely poor). By the time i graduated college, I had amassed a 35k BR (and had a couple of GF's to boot). I estimate girls cost me atleast 10% of my BR during college. I enjoy going out to nice places with girls and doing fun stuff, so its how I chose to spend a lot of what i was making (BR mgmt was a foreign word to me at this point). Like the old saying says "in the poker game of life, women are the rake" =].

Sometime towards the beginning of 2004 Party added 3/6, 5/10, and 10/20 NL. I had a full time job but would play every nite (usually 10/20). I was beating the game (although not as badly as i would now, the game was soft, and frankly i wasnt that good)........barely. I had 40k in my accounts and i did something dumb, i bought a car. I bought a brand new (aka used) Lexus GS430 which i put about half my BR down for. Combined with some other random expenses associated with moving into my new place i was down to a pittance of 12k BR on party, then it happened.

For the first time ever, i started running bad.............

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr0me said...

why do i get spammer comments? how can i avoid these? Lucko never gets spammer comments, i run so fucking bad

4:01 PM  
Blogger flipfish said...

Fast forward to when you go butso.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Dr0me said...

I already bustoed once, second time was worse

11:49 AM  
Blogger Dr0me said...

oh just realized, ya i do ff to bustoville, already drafted it havent posted it, nice 3 of my 5 comments are mine and one is spam

11:44 AM  
Blogger pba08 said...

I thought you were going to update this?

12:47 PM  
Blogger flipfish said...

Where's the trainwreck you promised?

11:08 AM  
Blogger Dr0me said...

ill post the trainwreck tonite, #2 is far worse than #1

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home